Thursday, March 10, 2016

Power Outage at School

One thing that doesn't worry this JV Mom is a power outage. Sure it is inconvenient, and yes, when it lasts a couple of days, we find a hotel and bring the toaster.

I worry about everything, but today's power outage didn't raise a blip.  Perhaps my experience as a child after a 4th of July storm that left my family without power for a week is the salve on this hot spot for me. Maybe I spend my worries on emotional things, and let all the concrete things ride under the notion that I can either do something about them or I can't. For whatever the reason, I had not one single hum of anxiety when I learned that I had left my children at school, and there was no power at said school.

With the smallest effort, I tried to assuage the fears of other parents when the school Facebook page had a few concerned posts about how the school would handle the power outage. Of course, the school might send the kids home, and schedule adjustments can be harrowing. How would hot lunch be addressed?  Does the school have a generator? Would the kids be warm enough? I assumed all would proceed as usual, and the power would be back shortly. My anxious spirit somehow read this as no crisis, so I posted two sentences for the parents with concerns.

"I taught high school by a single candle once. They will be fine."

Reading that now, I sound like I'm from Little House on the Prairie. What I meant by that was, as a high school teacher in the the era of my life my mother describes as BC (before children), I experienced a power outage at school. Luckily, I had one lonely candle in my classroom and matches in my purse, so I carried on, as the British say.

In my experience, elementary teachers are incredibly resourceful people. They teach science with straws and coffee stir sticks. My whole being knew the teachers would find a way to teach their lessons without electricity. Sure, they would adjust their curriculum, and maybe they would teach some things that are outside of the common core. Showing the students how to adapt provides children important skills they will need every day.

I have a feeling the students and teachers worked together to make their power outage school day educational and fun. Frankly, I don't want a whole lot more for my kids from a day at school.


By the way--my kiddos have had an amazing art teacher! Love her and how she teaches them to see the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment